here and there

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Scalloped Potatoes

Scalloped Potatoes was a frequent dish when growing up.  I remember my Mom slicing the peeled potatoes thinly with a knife.  Each layer of potato has been dusted and seasoned with pepper and salt, then a layer of thinly sliced while onions.  This step was repeated until the dish is filled.  Heated whole milk was added to the greased casserole to cover the potatoes.   Bits of butter were dotted over the top of the casserole.   Simple enough, but the first time I made this dish, I remember the mess of burned milk as the milk did boil over in the oven. 

I would have seen my Mom making this when very young, which certainly demonstrates that kids do learn by observing. 


My girlfriend as far as my family is concerned makes the best scalloped potatoes and her scalloped potatoes have become legionary.  She would parboil the potatoes, slice the potatoes, layer in a greased casserole dish with sliced onions and potatoes and then pour in heavy cream! 


A recipe that I had made for Brunch for my visiting cousins from British Columba, included a layer of sweet potatoes.  The color was lovely, but the sweet potato and regular potato cook at different times, so the texture of the sweet potato was much softer. 

For my Husband's birthday, I made roast beef, gravy, roasted organic beets and scalloped potatoes with Caesar Salad.



To make the scalloped potatoes, I sliced clean unpeeled potatoes with a mandolin, layered the potatoes with thinly sliced white onions in a well greased casserole. 

Add 1  cup of cream to the potatoes
Bake covered with tin foil at 325 for 45 -60 minutes until potatoes tender
Uncover potatoes and add grated Mozzarella cheese if you like and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes 


The length of cooking time depends on the size and depth of pan.








No comments: