here and there

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Maine Pancakes, Pennsylvanian Dutch Pancake

In trying to organize my Christmas recipe, I came across a recipe that I know as a Pennsylvanian Dutch Pancake but this was referred to as a Maine Pancake.  I am not sure why!




It suggests making this batter a day ahead and chilling it overnight.  Never am I that organized! 

The first time I made a Pennsylvanian Dutch Pancake in my Cast Iron, it certainly rose more than this recipe, but with two teenage boys, I couldn't make it fast enough. I didn't make it again as needed more than one cast iron pan to feed a family of five.



Armed with this information, I cut up three apples, handful of raisins and sautéed them in a tablespoon of butter.  I also chopped up two cooked sausages. 




 Whisk 2 lightly beaten large eggs, 1/2 c flour, 1/2 cup milk, pinch of salt, vanilla together, Batter can be a bit lumpy.  



Heat Oven to 425 degrees.

If you wanted to do just the puffy pancake, melt some butter in a cast iron pan.
Pour batter into the heated cast iron pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Serve right away as the pancake will be puffy like a soufflé and most dramatic!





Dust with Icing sugar or serve with maple syrup. 

Since I have two pieces left over, I will serve it with ice cream for supper. 

No comments: