This year, my grandchild has started piano lesson and since she is within walking distance from her school, she come for her piano practices during the week. Since her mom works most evenings, I also plan for suppers. I am always looking for a recipe that came be done in the oven and still be able to spend time with the grandchild.
A recipe video I came across was called "Cheeseburger Meatloaf" was not much different from my meatloaf recipe. The difference is how it is put together.
- Ground beef
- Ground lean pork*
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- Spices, such as Italian seasoning
- Rolled Oats, bread crumbs
- Slices of cheese*
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2-3 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 c of Ketchup or BBQ sauce
- 1-2 T of Brown sugar or Honey
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
*I always mix pork with ground beef for extra flavour
* Thin slices of cheese worked perfectly
- Caramelized the onions.
- Saute mushroom, green pepper in Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Line a cookie/baking sheet with foil.
- Press the meat mixture into the pan
- Layer slices of cheese. Leave a space at one edge and the edges to help seal the meat roll.
- Layer the vegetables over the cheese
- Using the foil to form the pinwheel, roll the meat tightly.
- Lift the meat careful and place in a cast iron pan.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes covered
- Mix Ketchup, Brown sugar and nutmeg
- Add to topping to the meatloaf
- Bake for 30 minutes, until meat is cooked.
Gravy was made from the dippings for the meat loaf and oven baked rustic red potatoes!
This recipe is a keeper as the grandkids loved it. The thin slices of cheese worked perfectly as added just enough fat to the dish.