here and there

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Family Mussel Pot by Staub

Having cracked my well-seasoned Romertopf Clay pot using the high temperatures to bake the no knead bread, I was after another cast iron Dutch oven.  The first cast iron pot I had bought in Damariscotta, Maine in 1984 to use to make cakes and roast chicken on the open pit while camping.  It has not been used since our camping days.  I pulled it out last week, as needed a pot with a lid to bake my bread.  A lid is required for browning.  The cast iron has proved to work well in the high heat required in baking the bread.

Yesterday, in returning for helping out with kids that were sick with earaches, I stopped at a thrift shop for books and a quick look for a Cast Iron Dutch oven.  To my delight, I came across a Staub Family Mussel Pot.  A handsome cast iron pot with black enameled surface.  It has been designed to get at the favorable juices as a stainless steel strainer separates the mussels from the juices..  A booklet suggests for best results to use this pot at Low to Medium/High heat..  The description of the pot suggests that it was perfect for low heat cooking.

Question is whether or not it can handle the extreme heat required for baking.. I have written to the manufacturers to find out if I can do this!
The other interesting thing I found was that there is a forum on Staub verus Le Creuset   
The difference I can see is that Staub cookware stays looking like new with usw whereas Le Creuset starts to look woren, yellowed etc.. Something that I did see in my sister in law's cookware.
Mr Staub has not  replied! But in re reading their little booklet  it states that Staub products can safely be used  in the oven up to 500 degrees!

No comments: