here and there

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Cowboy Skillet Breakfast






One of the dishes that I made and froze ahead for the Christmas Holiday was this breakfast complete meal. I made two casserole of this, one with pork and the other without meat.  This recipe is like a Spanish omelette or Tortilla which folds ingredients into the egg batter. In this case the ingredients are layer and then the egg batter poured over it. 

I had made this for house guests in the summer before leaving for our trip to Europe. I had frozen the casserole before baking it.  My grandkids loved that it was a "Cowboy Breakfast".  

At that time, I had used hash browns which I found tasteless and have since used potatoes for the base. Slice the potatoes, tossed them in bit of Olive Oil and baked them in the oven spread out on a cookie sheet at a high temperature until crisp and brown. 

This is the first layer in a cast iron pan or if freezing the casserole use a prepared casserole dish. 


The second layer is the fried ground pork or sausage meat.  I use regular ground pork and flavor it with sausage seasoning like Italian seasoning, caraway seeds, salt and pepper. 



Caramelize the onions for extra flavor. 

The next layer is one's favorite veggies, like spinach, mixed colored peppers, zucchini, mushrooms. 

Grated cheese can be used, but not necessary.   I like to use cottage cheese and mix it into the egg mixture. 

Depending on the size of the dish used, the number of eggs varies. For a 12 inch skillet, use 6 to 8 eggs.

Beat eggs and add 1/2 c milk. To make it richer add half and half or cream.  
Pour over the casserole
Dust with paprika.
Bake at 350 until eggs set. About 10 to 15 minutes. 
Serve hot or also delicious cold.





No comments: