here and there

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Lobster, Digby Scallops and Shrimp Chowder

Lobster and Haddock Chowder in Chester at the Kiwi Cafe



After tasting the chowder at the Kiwi Cafe and since there was one lobster left from the previous evening meal, I decided to make a chowder.  The chowder at the cafe was very rich with huge pieces of haddock, chunks of potatoes and lobster. My only suggestion would have been to heat the soup more as the ingredients had not married in the mixture and tasted like lukewarm cream with delicious pieces of fresh seafood and new potatoes!

Lobster, Digby Scallops and Shrimp Chowder

2 pounds of potatoes
olive oil
 1 onion, chopped
1 cup of diced celery
1 green pepper diced
1 red pepper diced
salt and pepper 
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
1 left over lobster 
package of fresh Digby scallops
Uncooked tiger shrimp
2 cans of evaporated milk


Method
Parboil potatoes

Add olive oil to frying pan and sauté celery, onions and peppers

I did add scallops to the pan once veggies were softened, but not necessary according to my Maritime husband as scallops cook quickly.


I made a roux with 1/4 cup of butter and flour and then added the 2 cans of evaporated milk.  I had  picked up some cream but the mixture was rich enough and did not need the extra cream added.



Add the scallops and shrimp, add cooked lobster last



The mixture was brought to a hot temperature but I did not let the soup boil. The soup was served when the shrimp turned pink.


Garnish with fresh chopped Parsley

Yes, I waited in eager anticipation while my Maritime husband and relatives took their first sip of the chowder.  It passed the test as my brother in law said he'd serve the left over chowder to his friends' the next night. I suggested he add more seafood to the chowder for his friends.  I would also add some heat such as a jalapeño to my next chowder.





A perfect setting over looking the Mahone Bay to enjoy the seafood chowder.

No comments: