here and there

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dumplings by any other name!

Making peroghi
The recipe I used was 4 cups of flour and about 1 1/2 cups of lukewarm water, salt and about 1/3 cup of Olive oil. I did use my food processor to knead the dough, then let it set for about 2 - 3hours. The dough was soft to the touch , but very elastic and difficult to roll out at first! 

 For my filling a I used a 500 ml of Cottage cheese and  500 ml of Ricotta.. The mixture was runny, even though I did drain it, it needed some mashed potatoes to thicken the filling, about 6 meduim potatoes was used.  I always tend to make too much filling.. I have about 1 cup left over which was just great! 




 In total out of the 4 cups of flour, I made 7 1/2dozen of peroghies



Some of them I rolled out too thin so decide to cook the dumplings like pot stickers in a splash of olive oil.  They cooked very quickly and did not need to be steamed! The dough was tender and delicious cooked this way with a drizzle of Truffle Oil!

For supper, lemon and dill rubbed dry wild salmon, peroghies drizzled lightly with truffle oil and spring salad with spicy lime, jalapeno tomato salsa!

2 comments:

dona said...

They look so yummy! I just want to try them. :)

Here and There said...

Let me know if you try the recipe.. I did try the dough in my pasta maker but the dough too tender for it and fall apart! lol

I don't think you have cottage cheese in Italy, so just ricotta is great as long as your filling is dry to work with. Any dough left over, you can roll out , wash with egg white , sprinkle dry herbs, seeds etc and bake for a rustic cracker!