here and there

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Pineapple Pie







This is my version of Pineapple pie 

The handwritten recipe was posted on a Facebook site, which said the recipe was seventy years old.
I love the old recipes that are easy to make, ingredients easily found and usually available in one's pantry
I only had to buy a can of crushed pineapple.  











This is what the pie looked like after an hour in the oven at 350.  I was happy that I decided to put a meringue topping on it at the beginning of making the recipe.






The meringue really dresses up this pie without adding any toppings.

The eggs had been separated and the whites were whisked with 1/4 tsp of Cream of Tartar until soft peaks, then 1/3 C of sugar was added and whisked until stiff peaks. 

Make sure the meringue is spread right to the edge of the pie plate so it doesn't shrink. 




These are my modification to the recipe;
I reduced the sugar to 1/2 c, separated the eggs to make a meringue, used 1/2 c of pineapple juice in place of the water.  I also baked the pie at a lower temperature. 





No comments: