here and there

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Ukrainian Christmas Eve, 2017



Something so special in celebrating Christmas Eve on Jan 6th.   The focus is no longer on gifts but on family, the symbolic meal and church.  So many memories of my grandparents family all attending regardless of the weather.  Their daughter, Mary and family in spite of over an hour driving time in sometimes very cold or blizzard conditions always made the trip to be with the family.  

This was my menu for Christmas Eve which is very much like my grandmother's but  I have added a Beet salad and Fish Balls. 


Christmas Eve 
Kolach


Borscht with uszka

Herring
Marinated Mushroom
Platter of smoked tuna and salmon

Beets with Smoked Salmon, pickled radish, oranges, preserved lemons

Fish Balls 
Morel Mushroom sauce
Pyrohy,   Sauerkraut 
               Potatoes and Cheese

Platter of dried fruit, nuts and oranges

Pampusky



My Mom and grandmother served all the food at the same time, starting with Kutia.  I do it in stages, first the Kutia,  soup, then the appetizers followed by the main dishes.  Although, I am getting better in time management, I still find that I do not execute this meal as well as my mom did.  I do remember the Christmas Eve dinner at my grandmother, where everyone was sitting at the table with some hay underneath the table scattered on a bed sheet.  Candies were thrown into the hay for the children to find after the meal. 


The Kolach was made with the help of my grandkids! 

The traditional Kutia starts the meal following after singing "God Eternal"





Add caption















The mushroom filled tiny dumplings were cooked in water.  Cooking them like I did the first time I made them in the beet broth results in pretty pink dumplings! 






























This was my dish of food! 







The fish platter that I bought in Chester Nova Scotia was filled with delicious smoked tuna and salmon, a generous gift from son in law that he brought from British Columbia!  Pickled Radish and Red Onion garnished the fish! 








This is a mixture of marinated mushroom that were purchased at out Italian store.











My daughter and husband were here from Vancouver.  We all dressed up in Ukrainian clothing that have been embroidered by cousins in Western Ukraine. 














We ended the meal with freshly fried Pampusky filled with dried fruit!


At the same time in rural Manitoba, my aunt who is in her nineties also prepared this feast for her family.




Aunt Marion wishing everyone a Merry Christmas! 




Kutia 




























































No comments: