here and there

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Chinese Steamed Buns , Steamed Bao

My grandchildren love Dim Sum and I have been finding recipes for them to try which has sent me researching how to do this. I must add that although I don't like Dim Sum, I love the social aspect of it and especially the carts that go table to table for patrons to select items which is always intriguing! 


The first step was to cut out pieces of parchment for steaming the buns on in the Bamboo Steamer.  This was a challenge for a six year old with regular scissors.




After studying the recipes for steamed buns, I realized it was just a regular bread dough recipe, although some used Baking powder other used both yeast and baking powder.  Once again my Refrigerator Bread Dough came very handy.  Especially when you unexpectedly have to babysit!  

On a counter, you see the container that was used to pack store bought BBQ chicken. This container is the best to store fresh dough in the refrigerator as the dough's gases do not blow of the lid and the container is also vented. 

I had enough dough left to make 6 buns.  The dough was rolled into a log, 6 pieces were cut off.

Each dough piece was rolled into a long strip, which were brushed with oil, then folded over and allowed to rise. 













Strips of pork cut from a pork loin roast where marinade in a lemongrass marinade. 



The marinade pork was baked in a hot cast iron skillet at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes, then grilled for 3 minutes under the broil.



I added the buns to the steamer when the water was boiling.  I read today in order to have soft buns, you place them in the steamer and let them sit for 10 minutes before turning on the heat, then bring the water to boil, steam the buns for 5 minutes, turn off the heat and let the buns sit for a few minutes before removing them from the steamer. This apparently makes very soft white buns which do not collapse. I did not know how long to steam and I did steam them for 10 to 15 minutes.   






 The steamed Bao were filled with slice cucumber, Asian flavour Coleslaw and Marinaded Pork Strips.  Hoisin sauce or hot sauce was added 





My grandchild was so impressed that she wondered if she could do this for her birthday party in Sept. 

No comments: