here and there

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Chinese Green Pancakes



Yesterday, I decided to do Chinese Pancakes with my Granddaughter as she had loved the purchased ones her mom had bought for an Appetizer on Father's Day.  I cringed at the calorie count for these babies.

Perhaps there was a healthier version, but after looking  at the different videos and recipes, I don't think so!

The dough for these pancakes is basically flour, salt and water.  The dough is like pyrohy dough or flatbread.  The process of layering fat is very much like making Croissants or Salenjaci which I have blogged about. 

This layered flatbread is called "Bing" in Chinese and comes from Northern China.  Check out this video of the pancakes made at a street vendor.  Chinese Green Onion Pancakes China Shanghai.



Using the flowing recipe

Ingredients:
2 c flour
1c hot water*
salt
Mix together, then knead, let rest for 30 minutes
*boiling water is used in most of the recipes, But I do think this recipe needed more water. I would use 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups so the dough is stickier/

Divide the dough into 4 portions
Roll the dough as thin as possible, then oil the dough







Fold a third over, then the other side, roll again to make a very thin sheet





Add oil to the dough. I used Olive oil but lard or chicken fat is said to be better.. Now where would I find Chicken fat?

One of the sites, sprinkled flour and coarse salt over the oil.  This site added the following as did the street vendor in the video above.

Paste and seasonings
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • (Optional) 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground toasted Sichuan peppercorns
  • 1/4 cup Chicken Fat or melted lard    

This site also added sunshine egg to the top of the pancake as a garnish 




Add the chopped green onion, but certainly I should have added more as in the above video on the street vendor that makes this pancakes. Since I had scapes from my garlic, I added these.  My granddaughter also thought grated carrots would be great!






Roll up the dough as a pinwheel and flat the roll to release air, oil the strip and roll up to form a small disc.




Roll out the disc to form a flat pancake

Fry in a hot Cast Iron pan





Dipping sauce;

Egual portions of soya sauce, rice vinegar, water
Add mince garlic, chopped green onions, pepper flakes and minced fresh ginger


This video is too cute to not include... Enjoy!















No comments: