here and there

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Green Garlic Pancakes


Chinese prepackage pancakes are found in my Asian supermarkets and the calorie count is over the roof.  I have seen recipes for them but have not tried them until seeing this recipe for Wild Green Pancakes in an email and decided to make them as I have fresh garlic growing in my garden.



The amount of liquid to be used in the recipe is not specific and the first two I made were too thick, the liquid needs to be very runny.  In total I added almost a 1/2 cup of water if not more.

I was surprise how plain tasting the pancake is even though it is seasoned with fish sauce, salt and pepper along with turmeric for color.  I  made her dressing and found it to be too acidic.


Green Garlic Pancakes
Fresh garlic leaves
2 eggs
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 tsp grounded turmeric
1/2 cup water, may need more for a very thin batter
1 tsp fish sauce
salt and pepper
oil for frying the batter

Whisk together the eggs, add the flour, then whisk in water until batter very runny so that you can spread the batter easily in the hot pan to make a large circle before it starts to cook.

Heat a small caste iron pan until it is medium hot. Brush oil in the hot pan.  Pour  a small amount of batter and quickly swirl the pan so that you have a thin circular layer.

I added the finely chopped garlic leaves to the batter but you can add it before you cook the other side.


No comments: