here and there

Friday, August 30, 2013

German Fruit Squares- Fruit Platz

Not sure what the difference between Kuchen and Platz

But according to this Winnipeg Blogger Platz means a coffee cake. Kuchen means Cake


Here is the Mennonite Girls can Cook version of Platz.  If you're looking for an old recipe, they are a good reference. You can also follow them via email. 



Here is my co worker's recipe.. yes, the date is correct.. the School of Nursing where I taught in Winnipeg did a wedding shower for me and each one wrote a recipe.. Here is Tina's in her very lovely hand writing. Tina used to bring this dessert especially when plums were in season! It is a stunning looking dessert along with a very great taste! Another plus is that it serves a crowd when cut into sguares!





After purchasing a basket of peaches in Nova Scotia, that were ripening much too quickly, I decided to do my friend's recipe, but since I was not at home, I googled the recipe. 

I combined a couple of recipes as since I had done the recipe a few years ago, I only remember using a cookie sheet, baking powder and that I drizzled  an egg mixture over top!

Here is the recipe I used by combining a few recipes together
I did not remember the crumb topping for the cake, Tina then drizzle the egg mixture over the crumbs..

I was not sure how to slice the peaches, I would just quarter them the next time.

The name I found this recipe under was Kuchen now I know why it said to pour out the batter into the pan. The cookie sheet was way to large for this recipe.. But it worked! In Tina's recipe, the base is rolled out and placed into the cookie sheet.

2 cups of flour
 3 tsp Baking Powder
6 Tablespoons of butter 
1 egg
3/4 milk (used water and yogurt)
1/4 cup sugar

Mix flour, baking powder and sugar. 
Cut in 6 tablespoons of butter. 
Beat egg and milk
Pour into flour mixture
Mix the dry with the wet ingredients
Pour into a prepared Pan.
Arrange fruit on top

Topping

1 egg beaten
2 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon cream
1 Tablespoon flour

Mix together and drizzle over fruit layer

Bake at 400 


Although it did not look like my friend's recipe, the dessert quickly disappeared with an ice cream topping. 


No comments: