here and there

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pickled Grapes

My brother had an abundance of Concord grapes at the front of his house this fall.  I made him concentrate  juice for jelly from some of the grapes.  I decided to pickle a few bunches of the grapes and leave them on the stems.  
 I used the recipe with ginger and jalapeño peppers. The jalapeño peppers were from his garden. I picked up what I thought was crystallized ginger, only to find out it was pineapple!  








Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 10 whole cloves
  • 1/4 cup crystallized ginger
  • 2 medium jalapenos, diced
  • 1 bunch green or red seedless grapes, 



Having seen the above pictures, my daughter requested some jars to give as Christmas gifts for her friends, I used the following recipe with peppercorns and to one of the jars included crystallized ginger.. I also added 2 dried chilies to the brine! I also left the grapes on the stems and it was difficult to pack tightly, therefore didn't to mix up 2 batches of brine





1 pound red or black grapes, preferably seedless
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 (2 1/2-inch) cinnamon stick, cut in half
1/4 teaspoon salt

No comments: