here and there

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Pizza pops


These are done like cinnamon rolls.  The dough is rolled out and 

A  great idea for Valentines- dessert pops   from Pie Pops
And not to mention , animal shapes which would be a hit with little kids
Using jam in the pops from Vancouver



and even cake pops 

All of the above use skewers for the pops and would be a fun thing for kids!

Save your Fork, There's pie

A friend of mine had given me a pizza pop recipe that used cottage cheese and baking powder in the dough.  I used to make this recipe for my son who was in biathlon.  He would devour two of these pizza pops immediately after a race.  I also would make them for him to freeze as a quick snack or supper when he was in university.  The only problem I had in making them was that the cheese would ooze out, regardless of what I did to prevent this i.e. wetting the edges, crimping the edges with a fork, make a steam vent on the top, etc.  The main reason for  the cheese oozing probably was that I use to over pack them with cheese, green peppers, onions, pineapple with ham or pepperoni.

Pizza pop craze has hit Calgary and apparently pies are the hot item for this year!  Now my Mom would love this, as she was so skilled in making pastries.  Her butter tarts were legendary!!

Here are two dough recipes from my friend for her pizza pops or Calzone

The traditional dough recipe:

Soften 1 Tablespoon in 1 cup warm water and 1 tsp. of sugar.  Since I use the traditional yeast, this step needs to be done or the yeast will not dissolve.  This step is not necessary if using the quick raising yeast.
3 cups of flour
1 Tablespoon of oil and salt
Bake on top rack for 20 –25 minutes for 400 degrees F

The quick raise method is
2cups of flour
2 tsp. of Baking powder
½ tsp. of salt
1 cup of cottage cheese
¼ cup  of milk
1 egg

No comments: