here and there

Friday, September 4, 2015

Macaroni and Cheese Buns


Macaroni buns seem outrageous but are delicious and great for any summer picnic.  Macaroni in a bun were a hit with the young and old!



Again, there are many versions of this. Some just use the mac and cheese mixtures and place it into a muffin tin.  I used my own bread dough that I rolled out thinly and then scooped a heaping teaspoon of the Mac and Cheese.  I also used a wonton wrap with the Mac and Cheese filling. These were lighter and would be awesome for a party, served with Fresh Tomato salsa!

The recipe I used is my favourite Mac and Cheese recipe

I made a roux, added hot milk and whisked until the mixture thickens. I used cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese..  You can stop here and have a fondue! 

The recipe is very much like my Grandmother's, only she would have used cottage cheese for her Baked Macaroni casserole.  As a kid, I loved my grandmother refrying slices of the Mac & Cheese the next day with an easy over egg for breakfast!

Mac and Cheese recipe
Ingredients:
 elbow macaroni
3 T butter
3 T flour
1-1/2 cup milk 
2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated,
2 eggs
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated

  • Cook the macaroni and drain well
  • Made the white sauce. I use my microwave to melt the butter, add the flour, whisk, beep for a few seconds, add  the heated milk, whisk again until the mixture is thick.  This is all done in a couple of minutes.
  • Add in the shredded cheeses, stir until melted.
  • Add in the beaten eggs, pinch of salt, nutmeg
  • Stir in the cooked elbow macaroni




Using mini muffins that have been sprayed, a 2 inch cutter was used to cut the bread dough that had been rolled out.  





I found it easier to place the macaroni filling holding the cut dough. The weight of the filling if placed into the dough while in the tray would pull the dough down in the cup.  This way, you could pull the dough up over the filling and prevent a mess if the cheese bubbled over!




















Above is Mac and Cheese in a Wonton Wrapper








Having some dough and Mac and Cheese left over, here is what we had for supper that evening!  Along with Pork patties and veggies cooked in my Cast Iron pan on the BBQ. 















No comments: