here and there

Friday, January 25, 2019

APPLE CROW’S NEST, vintage recipe

APPLE CROW’S NEST

I came across this vintage recipe that uses apples, but since I had a bag of pears from Christmas, I decided to use them instead and reduce the sugar.  

Not only did the name catch my attention but so did the presentation of the dessert.  Basically it is like the Blueberry Grunt made in the Maritimes but not flipped over.  How creative!  
This recipe is a keeper and showstopper for brunches






APPLE CROW’S NEST
  • 4 med. tart apples* I used pears
  • 1 c. flour
  • 2 tbsp. baking powder* I used only 1 Tbsp
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 3 tbsp. shortening* I used about 4 T butter
  • 1/3 c. milk* I used more milk about 3/4c 

Melt butter in cast iron skillet


Slice apples, arrange apple slices 
Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.  Since Pears are so sweet, I did not use sugar.



Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  
Cut in the shortening/butter. 
Add milk to make a soft dough and spread over apples.(wet back of spoon to promote better spreading of dough.)  I did use more milk so as to be able to spread it better






I did take care to bring the dumpling batter to the edge to aid in flipping the dessert over. 




Bake 400 for 25 to 30 minutes. 
Make sure apples/pears are cooked well. 






When cooked completely, invert on plate. 




Dust dessert with icing sugar.. Also did drizzle Maple Syrup when served.




Or serve with ice cream or sweet and sour sauce.  


Sweet and Sour sauce

  • 2 large tbsp. flour 
  • 2/3 c. sugar 
  • large piece butter 


Mix together in a sauce pan; Add

  • 2 1/2 tbsp. vinegar, 
  • 2 1/2 cups hot water 
  • cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Cook until thickened and serve over crow's nest.

No comments: