here and there

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Homemade Sriracha Jerky

In my collection of recipes, I have from a cousin who was a hunter and fisherman recipes of dried and smoked meat and fish.  Each recipe has evolved as he tested the different recipes and modified the recipes to his liking.  His handwritten notes are scrabbled beside the recipe.

Last week, a recipe appeared in our Metro Newspaper and I decided to make it. I have been craving beef jerky!


1/2 c unseasoned rice
1/3 c Sriracha sauce
1/4 c Brown sugar
minced garlic
salt
1 lb sirloin 

The beef was cut into strips and placed into a plastic ziplock bag along with the marinade.  Work the mixture into the beef. 

The mixture was placed into the refrigerator and left for 2 -3 days. 


I did use the dehydrator in my oven, but one can set the oven to 200 and check at 2 hours to see if done.  I lay the strips on to parchment and half way I did place the strips on a grate. 


The jerky is done when it is dry and bends without breaking. 



Not sure I liked the taste of this jerky, it seemed to need more kick to it and lacks salt.. 
Like my cousin I guess I need to experiment and keep notes!

No comments: