here and there

Friday, September 13, 2013

Rubber Duck Cake

After posting pictures of the Rubber Ducky Cake I made for my grandchild for her second birthday on Facebook,

I realized what memories the cakes I had made for my children for their birthday had made for them and others.  

My grandchild likes ducks and I decided to do a rubbery ducky theme for her second birthday. 

The Betty Crocker site has easy directions for making a Rubber Ducky cake without using a performed pan.. 

I had made similar cakes for my children for their birthday parties and for school.  Grover, Oscar the Grouch, Tigger, Barbie doll, BatMan and monster cakes all come to mind.  These cakes are easy to make and are unique and remembered as seen by the Facebook comments.
The only thing to remember is all the kids want the eyes, so need to add extra candy to decorate the cake so each kid is happy





This cake was fun to make.  I am not sure that you had to use two different circular pans as it didn't seem to make a difference. I think the head could have been higher and larger, but it worked.. I used a circular bowl with the brim of 10 cm wide.


A trick my mom always used with layer cakes was to spread melted jelly on her cakes before assembling them.  I find it adds an extra layer of flavor to do this.

Buttercream icing was used as the icing.  Cream 1 cup of shortening ( 1/2 c of butter and 1/2 c of shortening can be used) and 1 tsp Vanilla with 2 T of milk, add your icing sugar gradually until light and fluffy.  I used about 3 cups of sugar and needed to add more milk to have an easy to spread icing.


I could not find the orange wedges, although I did find orange slices in the bulk food area of the grocery store.  I used Cheezies for the tail which was a hit with my granddaughter!






    

2 comments:

A Canadian Foodie said...

Incredible! Yup - these little offerings live long and last forever in the minds of those we love.
XO
V

Here and There said...

Thanks Valerie.. it was fun to do and certainly full of memories of doing cakes for my kids' birthday.. It is amazing how inexpensive and easy this was to do, yet so unique!!