here and there

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Moroccan Couscous with Cranberry and Turmeric




Yesterday, I picked up a free magazine "Sage, Natural living for You and Family" at our Supermarket. In the May edition in the section called Your Food, it featured Moroccan Food.  

In the article, spices are credited for many health benifits from antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and in improving digestion, not to mention the flavor and scent of spices give the dish pizzazz!



The recipe I chose is quick and easy to make.  Since I had Couscous and am trying to purge my cupboards, an on going battle, I used couscous.  Couscous is traditional made from wheat.  

The recipe calls for Millet an ancient grain with similar protein structure to wheat but is a non gluten grain.  I was eager to try this grain until I read the warning about eating too much of the grain.  Although Millet does not contain gluten, it contains goitrogens which in fact suppress thyroid activities and can lead to goitre or Hypothyroidism.   This article talks about protecting one's thyroid at all cost and avoid regular consumption of food that may harm us given the overall current environment stress on body.  In this case Millet. 

So couscous it is! Not sure I want to start using Millet just yet.




Moroccan Couscous with Cranberry and Turmeric

I c couscous
2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp sea salt
handful of dried Cranberry
handful of chopped Cilantro

In a sauce pan, add 2 c water to the couscous, salt and turmeric.  Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until the couscous absorbs all the water. Add cranberries, fluff with fork. Add chopped cilantro. 

The recipe called for currents but cranberries added color and taste.  Chopped nuts and green onions would also be nice

I served this with roasted chicken breast and a Greek Salad!.


  





No comments: