here and there

Friday, August 28, 2015

Rhubarb Dream Squares


Rhubarb Dream Square sounds as good as it is! Not to mention that it is a very pretty looking dessert; squares or bars as my sister calls them, dainties! 

The buttery crust goes well with the tart rhubarb!





Rhubarb Dream Square

Bottom Layer 
    • 2 cups flour
    • 2/3 cups sugar
    • 1 cup butter
    1. Mix  flour and sugar in a bowl. Cut in the butter to make coarse crumbs with a pastry blender or with 2 forks. Press into a 9x13 in baking pan. 
    2. Bake crust at 350 for 15 minutes. 




    Filling:
    • 4 eggs, beaten
    • 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
    • 1 1/4 cups sugar
    • 1/4 cup flour


    1. Combine eggs, sugar, flour and mix well. Fold in rhubarb.
    2. Pour into baked crust and bake @ 350 for 45-55 minutes.








    The recipe I had followed was from Mennonite Girls can Cook.  Although I did look at a few different recipes for Rhubarb bars.

    After baking a successful sponge cake, I was armed with confidence to make this dessert, only to have a flop! 


    Here are my comments with Charlotte!  

    I just pulled out this dessert out of the oven.. I had a meringue like thin crust form on top, which cracked while being cut. I guess, I had over beaten the batter. What do you think?
    I had wondered if this dessert could be frozen. I also would decrease the 2 cups of sugar as the dessert is way too sweet even with the four cups of Rhubarb. I am going to try again, but will wait to hear if I had over beaten the batter and if it can be successful frozen. 







    1. Hi Marilyn, thanks for the questions and I will try to answer best I can. I am curious, did you put crumbs on top and then you still got a thin layer of meringue like topping? I didn't think that when eggs were beaten into a batter with flour that it could do that, or at the very least it has not been my experience. If that is the way yours turned out and you still enjoyed eating it I think that would be just fine. Can you freeze this dessert, yes, even if you get a thin like meringue crust on it. My recommendation would be to thaw it uncovered, that way the crumbs don't get soggy. I hope this helps. 

  1. Thanks for the reply, I did do another pan of the same square recipe that same day. And it turned out lovely.. I did beat the eggs but only for a few minutes, and then add the rest. The batter was not as airy and fluffy as the first try and the mixture covered the rhubarb and the rhubarb could be seen when spread out, where I couldn't see the four cups of the fruit in the first batter! I couldn't cut the first dessert without the meringue smashing, but it went to a fence building bee and quickly disappeared. Lol.. I also reduced the sugar to 1 1/4 -1 1/2 cups and it was still plenty sweet.. I was able to cut the pan into small serving pieces, I think about 36
    pieces..



The Rhubarb Dream Squares were a hit. In fact one of the ladies said I made her day with a rhubarb dessert. This dessert freezes well in a tupperware container in cut bars. The frozen bars are also delicious eaten frozen!



No comments: